EXUS as Coordinator
A digital guardian angel enhancing cancer patient’s wellbeing and health status improvement following treatment
The burden of cancer is rising globally and is estimated to have reached 18.1 million new cases and 9.6 million cancer deaths in 2018. Despite the rising cancer incidence, improvements in early detection and therapeutic treatment have improved cancer survival. As a consequence, the number of cancer survivors is increasing globally, creating the need to improve not only treatment but also wellness and follow-up care.
As a consequence, the number of cancer survivors is increasing globally, creating the need to improve not only treatment but also wellness and follow-up care. Cancer treatment often involves combined modalities such as surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. In the past decades, more effective and targeted therapeutic modalities and less destructive cancer treatments have been developed such as immunotherapy and drug-targeted therapy. Even so, cancer and its treatment have important physical and psychosocial sequelae.
In ONCORELIEF we leverage the above-mentioned key drivers in order to skillfully and methodologically overcome technical challenges, by introducing new approaches that will allow the utilization of big datasets. We will develop a user-centered AI System to facilitate the integration of QoL assessment instruments through the use of PROMs and PREMs in order to improve post-treatment health status, increase the wellbeing, and follow-up care of cancer patients.
This will be achieved through an intuitive smart digital assistant (Guardian Angel), able to provide personalized support in post-treatment activities and tasks, suggest actions regarding the patients' overall health-status, improved wellbeing and active health-care and ultimately maintain him/her engaged on a wellness journey that will safeguard his/her health over the foreseeable prolonged post-cancer treatment period. To achieve this, ONCORELIEF builds on the combined knowhow of its interdisciplinary industry-driven consortium that brings together state-of-the-art technological skills, design thinking methodology and occupational psychology/health sciences.
01/2020 - 12/2022
The most important Impact(s) of ONCORELIEF are:
• Improved quality of life, symptom management and satisfaction with care/ treatment procedures.
• Getting at the centre of the post-treatment ecosystem, towards the direction of improving not only health measurements but also his/her wellbeing and integration in the everyday environment (i.e. personal, social, employment, etc.).
• Better handling of secondary effects and complications like fatigue, cognitive limitations, pain and sexual dysfunction that are consistently present in cancer patients during and after treatment.
• Enhanced ability to reduce risk of new medical conditions and improve health status.
• Improved psychosocial status, leading to better adherence to treatment, faster adoption to a new way of living with cancer and smooth post-treatment return to everyday life and employment.
• Support for the required transformation of the patient’s living environment targeting at enhanced wellbeing, improvement of health status and balanced after-treatment progress.
• Personalised QoL-based care for alleviating symptoms associated with cancer and its treatment
EXUS SOFTWARE LTD (UK)
CARE ACROSS (UK)
UNIVERSITY OF MAINZ (Germany)
MCS DATALABS (Germany)
UNIVERSITY OF BOLOGNA (Italy)