EXUS as Coordinator
Inclusive open schooling through engaging and future-oriented science
Science education needs to make students more scientifically literate and encourage larger numbers to take up science careers. Open schooling approaches can make science more authentic but tend to be adopted only as extracurricular activities, in a minority of schools or are limited to gifted and talented students.
CONNECT is an inclusive, sustainable model for enabling more secondary schools to adopt open schooling by embedding science-action projects in the core curriculum, using participatory science approaches with universities and enterprises. A scienceaction makes science more relevant to students. Our age is profoundly shaped by science and technology innovations. Societies must become more scientifically literate to be able to make evidence-based decisions and sustain themselves in our highly competitive world.
One solution that has been proposed for increasing students' aspirations in science is to open up school through partnerships and family involvement.To make open schooling inclusive and widespread in science education, we believe 3 questions need to be addressed:
Q1. How can open schooling increase the value and priority of partnership activities and reduce the barriers to entry so more schools are willing and able to adopt them ?
Q2. How can open schooling facilitate the interaction between all partners (science professionals, teachers, students and their families) to result in effective learning experiences linked to R&I?
Q3. How can open schooling make science careers more inclusive by giving disadvantaged students more experience and insight into professional STEM jobs, supported by professionals and their families?
CONNECT is an inclusive, sustainable model for enabling more secondary schools to adopt open schooling by embedding science-action gamification projects in the core curriculum, using fun approaches of participatory science with families, universities and enterprises to increase students’ interest and confidence with science in life.
01/2020 - 08/2022
1 519 761,25€
• Make the next generation more scientifically literate and increase their aspirations towards science-based careers by giving them opportunities to work with partners in and outside school and use science to shape their future lives.
• Target disadvantaged learners who lack science capital, making them more confident with using science, giving them contact with science professionals and engaging family members to improve their attitudes towards science-careers.
• Become a sustainable solution by becoming embedded within the policies of school, universities and enterprises, and spread to new organisations by establishing a persuasive evidence base
• Disseminate science-actions beyond the Consortium through our existing links with UNESCO, UNICEF, and OECD, and through events, press release and publications
• Form a legacy for new organisations to establish science actions after CONNECT finishes
NATIONAL TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS (Greece)
EXUS SOFTWARE MONOPROSOPI ETAIRIA PERIORISMENIS EVTHINIS (Greece)
THE OPEN UNIVERSITY (United Kingdom)
FONDEN TEKNOLOGIRADET (Denmark)
FUNDACIO PRIVADA INSTITUT DE RECERCA DE LA SIDA-CAIXA (Spain)
MASTERY SCIENCE LTD (United Kingdom)
UNIVERSITATEA VALAHIA TARGOVISTE (Romania)
GLOBAZ S.A. (Portugal)
UNIVERSIDADE DO ESTADO DA BAHIA (Brazil)
ASSOCIACAO PARANAENSE DE CULTURA APC (Brazil)
PERIFERIAKI DIEFTHINSI PROTOVATHIMIAS KAI DEFTEROVATHMIAS EKPAIDEFSIS KRITIS (Greece)